Diary of a SAHM – Day 475
Quite some time ago, a friend of mine posted a picture of her red velvet cake on FB. I was fascinated as I’d never seen or tried one before. So the other day, when hubby requested for a cake for his breakfast/tea break/supper, I decided to try my hand at baking this gorgeous-looking cake. I searched online and came across this wonderful recipe with 5-star reviews on www.chow.com. As usual, I’d only list the ingredients here for future reference. If you need the full recipe and step-by-step guide, please click here.
For the cake:
- 2 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon sifted cake flour or 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for coating the pans
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons (1 [1-ounce] bottle) red food coloring
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for coating the pans
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest (from 1 to 2 oranges; optional)
- 1 cup whole or low-fat buttermilk
For the icing:
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 pound (4 cups) sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk, if needed
Note to self:
– I only used 1 tsp of fine salt.
– I used 2 tablespoons of red food colouring (powder). Too much! Remember to reduce.
– The cake was rather sweet. Reduce the amount of sugar.
– I only had 250g of cream cheese. So I adjusted the amount of each ingredient for the icing accordingly. It was sufficient to cover the whole cake.
– Invest in proper cake pans.
– Baked at around 175-180C for around 35 minutes.